1. Wearing jewelry. There is no need to show off your expensive rings or necklaces at the
gym. Not only are you risking losing your jewelry or having it stolen, but
you’re also making it more difficult to exercise.
○ Rings can get caught up in equipment
and make it harder to lift weights. Necklaces can also get tangled in the equipment. They can even put your life
at risk by creating a strangulation issue.
2. Wearing inappropriate clothes. Find a balance between comfortable gym clothes and revealing
○ You don’t want to wear clothes that
are so baggy they make it more difficult to work out. On the other hand,
extremely tight and revealing outfits can be distracting for others.
○ You’ll get your best results with fabrics that are comfortable, but not too baggy, moisture-resistant, and can be washed easily.
3. Using perfume. Perfume isn’t necessary at the gym, and it can actually make you smell worse as you sweat. Also, various scents can set off others’ allergies. So it’s best to avoid wearing any perfume or scented body products.
4. Eating a large meal right before you exercise. This can make you nauseous and
affect your workout. It’s important to eat something beforehand because you’ll
need the fuel. However, eat at least 30
minutes before going to the gym.
○ Instead of eating a large meal, fill
up on water and have a smaller meal or snack.
5. Setting unrealistic goals. One of the biggest issues at the gym is setting goals that
aren’t realistic. For example, if you haven’t run a marathon, then avoid
setting this as a goal for your first workout in months.
○ Push yourself, but understand your limitations. Overdoing it can lead to serious
injuries that force you to stop working out.
○ You may want to work with a partner
or trainer to ensure your goals are realistic.
○ Be aware that it can take time to achieve big goals. You can run a marathon with the proper training and effort. But the time, training, and effort must come first!
6. Giving advice to strangers. Unless they specifically ask for your help, it’s better to
avoid giving out advice or tips to strangers.
○ Consider this: When you’re working
out, would you enjoy getting a critique from a stranger?
○ The same applies in reverse. Unless
you see the other person is in danger or about to get injured, then avoid
giving them tips. They may feel it’s not your place and the advice is
7. Not following the gym rules. Each gym has its own set of rules. Before you even begin to
work out, read the gym rules and learn them by heart. If the rules state you
can’t use a machine for more than an hour, then follow them.
○ You can risk losing your gym membership if you don’t pay attention to the rules.
Get more out of your gym workouts by eliminating common mistakes. These strategies will alert you to the most common errors, so avoid these and you’ll enjoy a more pleasing and beneficial fitness regimen.